On July 23, 3019, the Parliament of France approved the Canada-European Union Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (the “Canada-EU CETA”). Even though the French Senate must also approve ratification of the Canada-EU CETA, we are going to mark this as a ratification. So far half of the countries have completed sets to ratify the Canada-EU CETA.
The countries covered by the Canada-EU CETA include Canada and the EU (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom) and additional territories (Andorra, the Åland Island, French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Mayotte, Réunion, Saint Bartélemy and Saint Martin, the island of Heligoland and the territory of Büsingen, Mount Athos, the Azores and Madeira, Ceuta and Melilia and the Canary Islands, the Channel Islands, Gibralter, Isle of Man and the Sovereign Base Areas of Akrotiri and Dhekelia).
Thirteen states have deposited their instruments of ratification: Austria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, and the UK. The approvals are as follows:
- The European Parliament approved the agreement on February 15, 2017;
- Canada approved the implementing legislation, Bill C-30, and it received Royal Assent on May 16 2017 – The Canada-EU CETA entered into force in Canada on September 21, 2017;
- The Latvian parliament ratified the agreement on February 23, 2017;
- The Danish parliament ratified the agreement on June 1, 2017;
- The Spanish parliament ratified the agreement on June 29, 2017;
- The Croatian parliament ratified the agreement on June 30, 2017;
- The Czech parliament’s upper house ratified the agreement on April 20, 2017 and the Czech parliament’s lower house ratified the agreement on September 13, 2017;
- The Portuguese parliament ratified the agreement on September 20, 2017;
- The Lithuanian parliament ratified the agreement on April 24, 2018; and
- The French parliament’s lower house ratified the agreement on July 23, 2019.
For more information, plaase contact Cyndee Todgham Cherniak at email@example.com or at 416-307-4168.
We have posted a number of articles about the Canada-EU CETA, including