IMG_2562 (2)When traveling by air with a dog or cat or other pet, please remember to report your furry (or not so furry) traveling companion to the Canada Border Services Agency on your Declaration Card (Form E 311).  You probably have not looked closely at the form.

One of the declarations reads “I am/we are bringing into Canada …. meat/meat products; dairy products, fruits, vegetables; seeds; nuts; plants and animals or their parts or products; cut flowers, soil; wood/wood products; birds; insects”.  The CBSA takes the position that “animals” or “birds” or “insects” includes your pet.

We recently spoke to two individuals who has their NEXUS cards seized because they misinterpreted the declaration.  The morale of the story is that you should check “Yes” if you have your pet with you.